SAC Membership meeting Agenda July 12, 2021

Substance Abuse Council Agenda

July 12, 2021

Evansville Central Library, Browning Room A

1.         Call to Order

2.         Welcome and Introductions

3.         Approval of June minutes. (please check the attendance list for corrections)

4.         Committee Reports

            a.         Prevention

            b.         Law Enforcement

            c.         Treatment

4.         Director’s Report

5.         Old Business/Projects

            A.  2021 Grants: Funding Agreements came in; Vouchers submitted

            B.  Fall Festival Committee:  Meeting on August 28/Next meeting August 16

            C.  Race for Recovery, Saturday, August 28, 8:00 a.m.

            D.  National Night Out, August 3, 6:30 to 8:00:  a couple of volunteers for the booth

            E.  12-month reports

6.         New Business:

            a.  1st Quarterly Report due July 15.  Executive Director meetings with ICJI over 2021 CCP.

7.         Presentations:

            a.  Deaconess Cross Pointe

            b.  Vanderburgh Misdemeanor Court

            c.  Legislative Update by Dan Miller

            d.  Presentations August:  Alkermes;  Financial Literacy Training, Ben Joergens Old National Bank

8.         Agency Announcements: In addition to agency announcements being made here, please email flyers to Dan that can be forwarded early tomorrow.

9.         Adjournment

NEXT MEETING: The next meeting of the Substance Abuse Council will be held on Monday, August 2, at 1:30pm, at the Evansville Central Library, Browning Room A.

The SAC Executive Committee will meet July 19, at noon, by MS Teams meeting.



 7 June 2021

Members present:  Kevin Groves, James Budde, Dee Lewis, Crystal Sisson, Wally Paynter, Jackie Hughes, Savannah Patterson, Julie Robinson, Sheila Rollins, William Wells, Jill Hoskins, Aimee Stachura. Hannah McPhail, Brigitte Hill, Heather Woods, Ginny France, Kelsey Hillenbrand Daren Harmon, Laura Wathen, Leslie Jackson, L Douglas, Amanda Hrabley, Aimee Stachura, James Akin, Christina Wicks, Elizabeth Greenwell, Dan Miller

Guests:  Tracey McCaffrey, Bri Bolin, Sara Naegele

The meeting via Zoom was called to order by President Dee Lewis at 1:30 p.m.

Minutes of the May 3, meeting had been emailed in advance of the meeting. Wally Paynter made one correction to the attendance list.  Bri Bolin was incorrectly listed as Brad Bolin.  Wally Paynter moved to approve the minutes as corrected; Daren Harmon seconded the motion.  The minutes were approved as corrected.

Committee Reports:

Prevention Committee.  Laura Wathen, chairman, had no report.

Law Enforcement Committee.  Chairman Daren Harmon had drug crime filing statistics from May.  His report is attached to these minutes.

Treatment Committee:  Chairman Jackie Hughes had no report.

Director’s Report:  Dan Miller reported on the director’s activities since the last meeting.  His written report is attached to these minutes.  He believes that we can meet in the Browning Room at Central Library at our next meeting on July 12.

Previous Business:

              2021 Grants:  Funding agreements were due on Friday, June 4.  Six funding agreements have not yet been turned in.  Dan submitted vouchers to the Auditor’s Office for all the grants where a funding agreement was turned in.  He must have a signed agreement before he can turn in a voucher.

              2021 Comprehensive Community Plan Update: We received approval for our Comprehensive Community Plan from ICJI.  We received it about a week after we had asked to be placed on the agenda of the County Commissioners to approve our funding requests.  As it turned out, that was the only question the county commissioners had for us: whether ICJI had approved our plan.

              Fall Festival Booth Committee:  The committee had its organizational meeting on May 24.  The next meeting is June 28, via Zoom.

              Race for Recovery:  We have set a date with Rise Up and Run for the Race for Recovery.  It will be Saturday, August 28, at 8:00 am in Garvin Park.  There will be a 5K run and a 1K walk option.  Sponsorship letters need to go out immediately as the time is short.  Recovery Month is September, and while we were not able to get a September date for the run, we could bill our race as a Recovery Month kick-off.

New Business:

              Events Committee:  Dan signed us up to have a booth at National Night Out on Tuesday, August 3, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.  He asked the National Night Out organizer what we had done in the past.  She indicated that we had things that we gave away and a game that people could play.  Dan asked the Events Committee to help to devise an activity for National Night Out attendees to participate in.  He also invited members to come and participate in the booth with him.

              Twelve-month grant reports are due June 25, 2021.  Fund rollovers need to be requested before the executive committee meets on June 21.


  1. Vanderburgh County Prosecutor’s Office:  Daren Harmon reported on the many activities of the Prosecutor’s Office, including the pretrial diversion program and the WeTip hotline.  He also reported on the program funded with the 2020 SAC grant.  “Hidden in Plain Sight” is a demonstration trailer that shows a teenager’s room and where controlled substances may be hidden.  The  Prosecutor’s Office has purchased the trailer and the supplies, but has not had the opportunity to give any demonstrations due to Covid.  It expects to put the exhibit to use in the next couple of months.
  • Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office:   Deputy James Budde gave the report.  5 sheriff’s deputies are assigned to the narcotics task force: 3 plain clothes and 2 uniformed interdiction officers along with a canine.  Deputy Budde talked about the technology challenges they face in enforcing narcotics laws.  Among the items purchased with SAC funds were Faraday bags which are used when seizing cell phones and other electronic devices.  The Faraday bag prevents the device from receiving a signal from outside the bag; this preserves the information on the device by preventing someone from remotely wiping information off the device.  The office is in the process of purchasing 3 smart tablets for officers to use in processing narcotics cases.
  • Girl Scouts:  Aimee Stachura described the Girl Scout programs.  They promote girl empowerment with a focus on 4 specific areas:  STEM (Science, Technology and Mathematics), outdoors, life skills, and entrepreneurship.  Their prevention efforts targeted middle and high school girls in underserved areas with the “It’s Your World, Change It” curriculum.  Because of Covid, they had to employ a new facilitation strategy, and acquired an additional partner, the Lilly Foundation, for funding.  They were able to mail their programming to girls in their homes.  Programming included a mental health check, self-care, hands-on coping skills, and emotional support.  They were able to reach 340 girls from six middle schools and two high schools.  They were also able to gather outcome data, and we look forward to seeing that date in their 12-month report.


  • TSA announced it was hosting a movie night this coming Saturday at the AMC theater on the west side.  They will resume in-person meetings on June 19 and plan to add a second Zoom only meeting for those who cannot attend in person.
  • Youth First has several professional job openings.  It has openings for more than one masters level social worker and for a bilingual (Spanish language) program coordinator.

The next meeting is scheduled Monday, July 12, at 1:30.  Dan Miller will let us know next week whether we have a room for an in-person meeting.

Wally Paynter moved to adjourn the meeting; the motion was seconded by Daren Harmon.  The motion passed, and Dee Lewis adjourned the meeting at 2:20 pm.

Submitted by Dan Miller

Director’s Report

June 7, 2021

Conversation with Susie Schenk, the coordinator for the Regional Prevention Council.  Turns out her emails were going into my junk email folder.  I have corrected that and we are now able to communicate.  Attended my first meeting of the Vanderburgh Prevention Resource Group.

Meetings attended:

Smoke-Free Evansville

Virtual Big Table (EVSC)

Vanderburgh Prevention Resource Community Coalition

Indiana Coalition Network monthly webinar

I submitted our grant funding request to the Vanderburgh County Commissioners along with supporting documentation, that among other things, gave a short synopsis of each of your grants.  I was a bit nervous when I asked to be on the agenda because we had not yet gotten approval from ICJI for our comprehensive plan.  However, the plan was approved, and I was able to supplement my request with the approval letter.  On May 25, I attended the county commissioners meeting.  I was prepared to explain and defend our funding allocations.  It did not come to that.  The only question I was asked was whether we had approval from ICJI for our plan.

Our funding request also included a proposed administrative budget for SAC.  For everyone’s information, the bare-bones budget I included is about $6,000.00 more than what we will receive.  I am not worried this year; we have enough in reserve to make it through to July, 2022, and I will be parsimonious.  However, I worry about the following year because countermeasure fee collections are way down, and I will be surprised if they top $80,000 total for 2021.

I inventoried T-shirts from past Races for Recovery.  We have 200 shirts of varying sizes.  I intend to use them for our booth workers at the Fall Festival.  After Fall Festival, I will be seeking ways to dispose of them.

In preparation for our Fall Festival Booth, I spoke with the salesman about our order for food and supplies.  More on that in the business reports.  I have also inspected the booth and determined that before we do anything else with the booth, we thoroughly scrub it on the inside.

I also looked into a room for in-person meeting for our July meeting.  At present, the Browning rooms appear to be free, but it will not let me book the room more than 30 days in advance.  So I will try at the beginning of next week to book a room for an in-person meeting.  Unless the executive committee tells me otherwise, our next executive committee meeting will still be on Zoom.

Felony Statistics Summary Report

05/01/2021 – 05/31/2021


Total: 239

Causing Serious Bodily Injury when Operating a Vehicle with a Schedule I or II Substance in Blood: 3

Dealing in a Schedule I Controlled Substance: 4

Dealing in Marijuana: 6

Dealing in Methamphetamine: 7

Obtaining a Controlled Substance by Fraud or Deceit: 1

Possession of a Controlled Substance: 36

Possession of a Narcotic Drug: 19

Possession of Marijuana: 52

Possession of Methamphetamine: 82

Possession of Paraphernalia: 13

Unlawful Possession of Syringe: 16

Speak Your Mind